One day I turned 30. (Shhh, don’t tell my kids, they still think I’m 29.) Anyway, one day I turned 30. Wait, let’s go back a year. Did I ever tell you the story of how I ended up writing this blog? No? One day (I actually WAS 29) I was driving my “twinfants” to daycare an hour away from home, and as I drove, I realized I’d forgotten their milk on the counter. Of course I went back to get it and then started back on my way, again. As I drove, I was listening to WAAY FM on the radio, and the morning host asked if there was anything that we would do for a living besides what we actually were doing. I called in and got through (that never happens) and said that I would write children’s stories. Now here’s the fun part. She asked, “So why don’t you?”
Oh you know, because once God gives you a calling and you don’t follow it, it’s lost. A lost cause. You only have one chance to go through the door of God’s plan for you. No sir, you can’t get it back.
Or can you?
Shortly thereafter, when I truly did turn 30, I decided maybe I hadn’t missed the boat after all. Maybe it wasn’t too late to pursue the dream God placed in my heart decades before. I created a website for kids with free short stories for parents, teachers, and ministries. Then, God began whispering on my heart to start writing encouragement for women. That led to devotional writing, a book, book study groups for that book, bible studies, and published magazine articles for both adults AND kids, and nowadays, writing and editing the blog for a faith-based business.
That’s how Perhaps This began, with a simple desire to do what God was asking at that moment – even if today’s moment is vastly different from yesterday’s moment, and even if none of the moments tie together. It has evolved into a beautiful tapestry with a three-fold purpose – Encourage, Equip, Empower. And as I grasp God’s hand ever-so-tightly as He leads me to the next step of this ministry, it’s time for me to encourage you to do the same. To grasp His hand and see where He leads. See, until I had that phone call, I thought I’d missed my chance. But God is never through writing our stories. Each riveting page is better than the last.
Esther 4:14 moments are when Mordecai nudges Esther out of her comfort zone. He tells her,
“What if this moment right here – this is the one you were created for? Your whole life has led up to this moment. This moment, right here.“
That was her Perhaps This moment. We all have one.
What if THIS moment is the moment you were meant to get out of your own boat and do something amazing for God? Whether it’s raising kids at home, pursuing your passion, flinging off whatever chains you have to pursue your decades-old passions… that’s what Perhaps This is. And my friend? That’s who you are.
Cheering for you,
Fun Facts About Karen:
- I love cocoa. LOVE. Cocoa.
- I’m passionate about helping women not only PURSUE their dreams, but DISCOVER their dreams.
- I met my husband on a blind date.
- I used to be in the color guard in high school. To this day, I will happily watch the halftime show, and get my snacks DURING the football game!
- I am a planner-aholic and make goals like nobody’s business.
- I love jewelry of all kinds – even costume and plastic jewelry!
- My favorite place to visit is the ocean. The minute I see the palm trees and smell the water, my heart is home. My second favorite place is Disneyland.
- My favorite thing in the entire world is when God uses something I have written to allow another person to grow closer to Him. I never get tired of that. Ever.
- One of my favorite verses is Matthew 13:32. “Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”
So that’s it – I’m glad you’re here! Stay awhile, and feel free to contact me – I would love to hear from you!